16 July 2010

In My Socks




I learnt to drive and operate machinery at a very early age. The D-4 bulldozer we used on the farm was my first experience with heavy machinery. Just like the tank, it ran on tracks.
Heavy, cumbersome and bloody dangerous.


Early one morning, I needed to head off to work. Unfortunately I was in a bit of a pickle. But not one to be stopped easily, I found away around my dilemma. I needed to start both the front end loader and truck, using only one battery.


I sat the battery loosely on the loader and thankfully there was enough charge in it to start. I then took the battery out of the loader and connected it to the truck.

Yes the loader was still running, diesel engines can still operate after they have been started and the battery is removed. This can only happen if the engine has an alternator. Excellent - say this in a Montgomery Burns voice from The Simpson's.


I then hooked the truck to the loader and dragged it to the top of a hill. It didn't take long for the old truck to get it's memento going and before long the truck was rolling quite fast down the hill. I didn't have time to stop the loader and so I just jumped off. I then ran like blue blazers to catch the truck, it had gotten up more speed than I expected. 

I had to grab hold of the truck tray and scamper up that. In doing so I lost my footing and by hanging onto the rail, my feet dragged behind me and my boots slid off. I started to laugh, yes I have a weird sense of humour.

I finally made my way to the cab and jumped in and used the gears to start the engine. The engine started, but I had no brakes...the old truck was fitted with air compressed brakes and you need to build the pressure up from the engine before you can use them. So the old truck rattled flat out down the hill, with my foot flat to the floor trying desperately to build enough air brake pressure, before I ran through the fence below.


I was unable to swerve, as the speed I was now motoring down the hill would of seen the truck tip over and although no one would of known about that, I was not really wanting to tip the truck over. Finally though, there was just enough pressure in the brakes to slow the truck down and turn around. As I drove the truck up the hill, I parked it, engine still running and I used a rock as a parking brake. I spun on my heel and chased after the loader, as it was still puttering away down the hill too.


After I had retrieved the loader, I tied the loader to the truck, and then I went searching for my boots.


I have used this technique...may I be so bold to call it a technique...a few times. To the astonished bewildered look of passer-bys. Ha what a laugh, it must of looked hilarious, me running after the truck in my socks.


Read More: http://imaginifbusiness.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment