18 October 2010

The River Ride - part two


Photo credit - coniferine




I eased off, not really wanting to witness what I knew was going to happen. The horse didn't stop at the swollen raging river, he leapt into it, tripping as he went causing him to somersault into the water. The rider thrown under him, she disappear from site for a few seconds before thankfully surfacing on the other side, disorientated and hurt, but alive.

I yelled to her not to move and wait for help. There was a family nearby fishing who had witnessed the event and on my prompting them they came to her aid.

I then turned my attention back to young boy, he was slowly walking back, his sister walking next to him. When they arrived at the river, we decided that the young boy would have to be first to cross, as he was injured, we later found out he had cracked ribs. We had to cross at the river mouth, it was deeper and more torrent, but further up the river was quicksand.

His sister and I carried him into the torrent. I was wearing long riding boots and as soon as the water reached the top of the boots they filled with water and I lost my footing and was carried away beneath the foaming water for about one hundred meters. I surfaced gasping to take a breath, but swallowed more water than air. There was a fallen tree that I was able to grab hold off and pull myself to the safety of the bank.

Petrified of my near drowning, I got to my feet and staggered back, feeling obliged to get these young riders safely across. I took off my boots and jeans to keep me lighter. On the second attempt we made it successfully across.

Unfortunately, for me, I had to cross back to get my horse - the bottom of the river had a few exposed rocks and I unluckily tripped on one of these and again was swept away under the water. This time however I did not surface so readily, in fact I could feel the air escape from my burning lungs and wanted to gasp. I did gasp as a reflex and swallowed a large amount of muddy water. I couldn't see and I was unable to think as the torrent waters tossed me about effortlessly. My arms bumped into rocks and some how my psyche told me to grab hold. I raked my fingers threw the mud feeling for rocks and when I felt one I grabbed hold.

Holding onto the rock was enough for me to be able to pull myself above the water. Chocking and spitting out water my lungs screamed for fresh air. Those first few gulps of air I took felt like a knife stabbing my body and I could hear the water gargle in my lungs.

I dragged myself up the river bank and I felt something nudge me and opened my eyes to see Bindi standing over me. I heaved, coughed and spurted out muddy river water. I remember looking up at the sky, thinking, that was close.

I felt weak, my legs felt like lead. Somehow though I managed to crawl up on my horse and he walked along the bank of the river a few strides before he stepped in. I clung to him as tight as I could and he walked bravely into the river. The river swept us away briefly, but Bindi swam and he was strong horse, he pulled us through. I looked back at the other riders and could see they were all safe and an ambulance had arrived for the beginner and young boy. Satisfied all was ok, I said to Bindi 'take me home'.

2 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed reading your stories, and can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sylvia,
    It is nice to know people take the time to leave comments. I try and post as much as I can...unfortunately life gets in the way sometimes...

    ReplyDelete