20 October 2010

Tay and Me

Photo credit - plrang


Like a freeze frame photo, capturing that one instant moment of joy, laughter, tears, fear and sadness, I stared at her beauty of vision. Her red hair captured my intentions and her green eyes coloured my life and made me gasp for breath. I blushed as she looked up at me from the other side of the table, she caught me looking at her...soaking in her existence.

The tea room at work buzzed with people scoffing down lunch and yet through all the hype, noise and chatter, we shared a silent moment in heart beats. That silent connection of two people longing to be with another and it was then we saw each other.

Never before had we exchanged the idea of interest and never before had either of us been so open about it. We stared into each others eyes as if we saw each other for the first time, as if life its self was glowing alert signals of inhibitions spared.

The words 'girlee spot' flicked brightly in fluorescent pink. I liked the atmosphere of the club, I could be my true self. No masks and no hiding.

A group of girls stood close to me and their laughter exploded as they teased a girl sitting alone at the bar. She had been there for many hours, just sitting, staring deep into her drink. Stirring the ice cubes around and around with her straw. I was so occupied with fitting into this ignorant group of people I had not even looked at her and had blindly laughed at their hurtful comments.

“Look at her,” one girl said, stretching out her arm and with a sharp finger pointed.
Caught up in the shallowness of humanity, I pushed past the girls to spy a look at what dastardly thing sat alone at the bar. As I pushed through the crowd she turned to walk out and we stood face to face...it was Taylor.

We had worked together for three years. Pleasant and friendly, she kept some what to herself. What would she think of me being at this place......what did she think I thought of her being at the same club. Keeping work life and private life separate was easy up to now, but now I felt like a naughty little girl with my hand in the cookie jar.

“Hi Jilly,” her voice cheerfully.
“Hi Tay,” I mumbled out, ashamed of my primitive behaviour.

I couldn't take my eyes off her. Her red hair hung gracefully on her shoulders...she always wore it up at work...she flicked her hair back and a piece fell over her face, without thinking I gently brushed it aside, her hand caught mine and in that second my pulse raced around my body faster than a V8 hot lap.

“Can I buy you a drink?” Tay asked,
“Strong bow,” I answered.
She let go off my hand, I'm not ever washing my hand again...and put my hand in my pocket as if to preserve the impression she left.

The crowd I'd been hanging with stumbled into me...their fill of liquor obvious from the slur of words.
“What are you doing?” Their ignorance now became annoying. How the hell did I end up with them?
I looked at Tay and longed to take her...her smile said it was ok to leave, but no, I wanted to be with her.
“I'm having a drink with Tay,”
The group screwed up their faces like a pug dog and stumbled back into each other as they wafted back to the dance floor.

“You don't have to stay,” Tay said doubting how much she was affecting me.
“Yes I'm staying...” I said confidently... “I want to know how this ends...”

No comments:

Post a Comment