02 June 2010

Curlew and me





The camp fire crackled.
I felt so warm and toasty sitting next to it.
I was deep in my own thoughts.

Suddenly I heard a noise that chilled me to the bone.
I had never heard such a shriek before.

It was a long loud eerie, weer - loo...weer - loo.

What the fuck was that, I said to myself.
I listened more intently, weer - loo...weer - loo.

Feeling uneasy about a noise that sounded like murder, I decided to lock myself in the car.
No one could get me in there and the others would be back soon.

As I stood up, this long legged, roughen looking bird ran towards me.
I gave a little scream.......................ok it was a big scream, but the bird scared me.

The bird stopped, frozen in time, one leg cocked up.
It stared at me like I was invading it's territory.

I didn't move and neither did the bird.

"Shoo shoo." I said waving my arm.

Nothing.

"Damn bird, piss off and leave me alone." I whispered.

I felt silly now to lock myself in the car over a bird, I'd never hear the end of it.
I settled back down next to the fire and when I looked up, he was gone.

All I could hear was the wailing sound of his call's.
Weer - loo...weer - loo.





Read More: http://imaginifbusiness.blogspot.com/2010/06/work-on-island-with-chicks-and-guano.html

6 comments:

  1. Yeehaaaaaaw, bring on the scary birds. I think everyone in FNQ has a Curlew story to tell. Maybe we should have a Curlew festival...round a camp fire, in the still of a winter night. Everyone would have to be silent, and listen, and wait.....Weeeeer.....looooooooo.

    You are so right about the sound of murder....but given that I've never witnessed or heard a murder, how do I know what one sounds like????

    My grandfather used to say that when the Curlews called, they were announcing death. Scared the bejesus out of me!

    Funny how we both went Curlew when the pic is not of a Curlew. That's what I love about the writer's prompts - you can go off on a tangent and write about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Megan, Yes I can only imagine what a murder would sound like and if sounds like a curlew, then it is horrible.
    I was told that curlews are announcing death too.
    I have curlew chicks at my place at the moment and the prompt kinda looked like one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like birds. Freaky looking things with beady eyes and pointy beaks.
    Your story made me shudder.
    I DEFINITELY would have locked myself in the car.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sammi...I tell you what the next time either of us are bailed up by beady eye'd birds, we will come to each others rescue and lock ourselves in the car.

    Just remeber to bring the red or white...some chocys...oh and any thing else you think we might need... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, so now I am prepared to meet my first big, bag curlew :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe yes MG, I think we gonna need a bigger car...lmao

    ReplyDelete