23 June 2010

Motorbike Chick




I have the letter 'H' burnt as a scar into my leg. The 'H' was positioned on the exhaust. My leg got trapped under the bike and the red hot exhaust with it's 'H' burnt through my jeans and into my leg. It's a little faded now, and more noticeable when I have a tan. But if Honda ever needed a reason to think chicks weren't into bikes well I have a brand to prove it, albeit accidental.


Motorbikes, a family blood trait that purrs or growls depending on what motorbike you are talking about in my veins. My Dad especially liked bikes and at a young age I was a bike nut too.


Before Crusty Demons were even out of nappies, I was heel clicking, wheelies, and standing on the seat and jumping. I was totally insane and loved every minute. I even tried to lay the bike down and slide under the truck, it all was working out great until my shirt got hooked under the truck and the bike kept going. Dad was none to pleased that I had dented the fuel tank and bent the handle bars.


One day, I was trying to impress this person (lets just leave it at that, no need to name names) I sat backwards on my bike and went as fast as I could along the gravel track. Until I forgot to look were I was going, after all and in my own defence I was sitting backwards. I ran into and flipped over a fence. The bike got hung from the top wire, but I twirled several times in the air...practising my ballerina moves for later that night...and landed flat on the back. Oh, and I have a scar from that one too.


But I think the best was, while both vehicles were moving. Chuck a wheelie and land the front wheel of the bike onto the tray of the ute. Seen it in some movie and thought I can do that. I did too on the very first go. However it was the second attempt that didn't fair well. The driver of the ute (and yes I swore so much at him even the troopers blushed) braked and both me and the bike slammed into it. The bike back flipped and landed on top of me. I was badly winded and had the worst case of gravel rash on my back and well let's just say sitting down for the next week was very uncomfortable too.


I was mad, insane and crazy, but I always wore a helmet.

2 comments:

  1. Another good memory from you Julie. This blog is becoming a portfolio of writing for you: in preparation for the book you want to produce. The juxtaposition of a traumatic memory and a good memory might make a fascinating layout and nicely display the hidden nature of abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes a juxtaposition, great idea.

    Not sure why, but going with the flow, I'm am feeling life writing tingle in my fingers.

    ReplyDelete