21 June 2010

Wishbone Bend Creek




It had rained heavy for four days. The ground was soaked. It couldn't hold any more water.

I was busy doodling on my maths assignment when the classroom door flew open. Mrs Flannel barged in, “All the kids have to go home now, the rivers are flooding,” she yelled.

We had had many drills in this scenario. We stopped what ever we were doing and got up and walked to where the school buses normally picked us up. No bag, no books nothing.

I was the last one on my bus and before I had a chance to take my seat, Mrs Cod the bus driver took off. I was the last kid that would need to be dropped off. Mrs Cod was mumbling something to us kids about if the creek was over, she'd have to turn around. We would then end up sleeping in the school library. Oh gawd no, they will only make us do homework.

As the bus rattled down the muddy and slippery road we came to the first creek. There was a wash of water over, but we crossed it ok.
The kids giggled, it was an adventure. More so that we got out of school.

I waved goodbye as the bus drove away. I was the last kid to go. Mrs Cod always grumbled about how far away our farm was. There were two creek crossings, the most notorious. Devil's creek and Wishbone Bend creek.

If either of those creeks were flooded, you could be stranded for days. Mrs Cod stopped the bus and told me to stay seated while she sussed out the depth of the water when we came to Devil's creek crossing. It looked ok and we crossed. Water swept in under the side door and for a moment I pooped my pants.

When we got to Wishbone Bend Mrs Cod swore. I got up from my seat and moved to the passengers seat. More for reassurance than anything. Wishbone was flooded. The bus would not get through. However there on the other side of the raging water was the big blue tractor. It ploughed into the water and parted it like Moses and the Red sea. The cabin door swung open and Charlie our farm hand popped his head out. A grin from ear to ear.

“Thanks Mrs Cod,” I said as I scrambled out the door. Looking over my shoulder as the little school bus rattled away. I did hope she'd get home ok. Even if she was an ole battle axe sometimes.

“Come on,” Charlie shouted “the rivers rising fast we have to go NOW!”

I climbed into the tractor and we ploughed back through the water. The tractor lost grip and slid sideways, water seeped in from around the door seal. I gave a little scream and dug my fingers into Charles arm. The water level was half way up the tractor. I couldn't see the huge back wheels, they were totally immersed. Charlie floored it and a big bellow of black smoke puffed from the exhaust and the tractor surged forward.

“We did it we did it,” I screamed in joy. Charlie straightened his shoulders and with a nervous crackle in his voice replied “Of coarse.”

Wishbone Bend creek broke its banks and recorded the highest level of flood water in history. Five metres. It took three weeks for the waters to recede and it was the only time we had our supplies dropped by plane. Oh and Mrs Cod did make it home safe.

2 comments:

  1. Goodness, very scary but also very unique memories to have. How wonderful to preserve them for all your nieces and nephews.

    Have you considered that people learn about the effects of flood through life writing examples like this? The other day we were discussing writing for an audience, not only for ourselves, but don't underestimate the enormous teaching value in life writing. It goes beyond just our audience.

    Couple of words used in the wrong context:
    gone home instead of go home,
    were the school buses instead of where the school buses,
    Charlie the was our farm hand instead of Charlie our farm hand.

    Dialogue grammar again: NO capitals after a comma. I think you've only done it in one place. The other capitals are on proper nouns so are necessary.

    And now I'm off to bed again. I have another headache. Too much writing and reading without my glasses perhaps?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Megan. Yes alot of my life writing memories are as vivid as this. Just getting them to paper.

    Hmm hope you feel better, drink more water...with the odd red thrown in...

    ReplyDelete