04 June 2010

Proud





Take me fishing, was my reply when Mum asked me what I wanted to do on my birthday.
It was a no brainer.

The creek bubbled. A beautiful spot. The crystal clear water ran effortlessly over the rocks to form a little waterfall. Above that was a deep pool. Cast in there and you are bound to catch a fish.
Mum snagged a fish and as I watched her jubilation as she reeled it in, I noticed something different about me.

I wasn't embarrassed, I was proud.
She isn't my real Mum, she's my foster Mum.
But the more I stared at her, the more I realised that that didn't matter to me any more.
She was more a Mum to me than other Mums.

She usually did her own thing and it generally got in the way of what I thought was important. But every time I needed her, she was there. Never judgemental, or shitty about something I did that she didn't like.
I fell out of trees, I broke my arm trying to fly off the roof and got my head stuck in the railing at the shops.
Every time Mum was there, reassuring and encouraging. She is my hero.

She gave of herself so that I could be the man I am today.
That's profound I thought. Could I, would I be a great Dad as she is a great Mum?

Mum had given me the freedom to explore my childhood. To make the mistakes and to get the bruises.
I had just realised, I had grown up. I am a balanced well adjust young man.

Mum held up the trout as it flapped in protest of being caught.
"Hey Mum........Thanks for being awesome,"
Mum looked at me and smiled.
"Happy Birthday," she said.





2 comments:

  1. Well, well....a new character in Julie's repertoire....and a boy at that.

    WELL DONE, Julie. You always manage to impress me - you are not lazy of scared to try something new.

    Love the link to foster care as well as it is not generally talked about in flash fiction. I can only guess that is because the issues are so complex. But, you have written to an audience (well, me anyway) who understands those complexities so you don't need screeds of development.

    WE have a new writer who has joined us too so be sure to go and visit her.

    Mxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Megan.

    I did enjoy taking on a new character.

    I like trying new idea's, generally after I have written something like that, it encourages me to write more.

    ReplyDelete